A personal statement is basically an opportunity to sell yourself in the competitive application process. It is like a short essay describing your skills, ambitions, achievements and experience. A personal statement must reveal your personality, who you really are, what makes you unique and what makes you stand out. A well-written personal statement should leave a good impression that makes a tutor want to meet you or offer you a place. A personal statement is a crucial part of your CV. It provides you a chance to prove that you are a perfect candidate or applicant by summing up your skills and experience.
How to write a good personal statement:
- First of all, ask yourself some questions before writing it. What makes your life story unique? What are your life goals? What skills do you possess? Do you know how to deal with challenges? You may find that questions are slightly similar in each application. Try to answer them separately.
- Tell your life story. Try to distinguish yourself through your story, the worst thing that you can do is sound boring. Make sure your statement is fresh and different.
- Be specific. It means everything you mention should be supported by examples or evidence. A personal statement must explain why you want to study the course or why you are suitable for it.
- Mention everything you know. Provide a detailed description of your knowledge in a chosen field. It could be work experience, volunteering, educational programs, visiting museums, galleries and theatres, taking part in competitions or contests.
- Be positive. List all your strengths and avoid negative thoughts.
- Proofread and copy-edit. Most admission officers say that well-written personal statements are important to them.
Some dos and don’ts
- Apply for a course you are really interested in.
- Be who you are.
- Reveal you best sides: it isn’t a good time to be self-conscious.
- Reread your personal statement carefully before the interview.
- Don’t make anything up. Honesty is the best policy.
- Don’t be tempted to use someone else’s personal statement.
- Don’t make long lists of your achievements without evaluating them.
- Don’t ask too many people for advice or help.
If you struggle with writing your personal statement, leave it to professionals. Personal statement writing services hire skilled and experienced paper writer who know how to create original, high-quality personal statements that will catch the attention of admission board right away.